This image can be used commercially
The Devonshire Royal Hospital, Devonshire Road, Buxton, 1977
D D Brumhead
Brumhead, D D
About this image
Originally built as stables for the Crescent. The hospital was converted in 1859 'for the use of the sick poor'. The architect was the 6th Duke of Devonshire's architect, H Currey. In 1881-2 R R Duke covered the courtyard with a large free standing dome, the largest in the world at that time. The building closed as a hospital in 2001, and is now owned by the University of Derby.