This image can be used commercially
St Mark's Church, Rose End Avenue, Cromford, c 1930s?
Rose End Avenue
About this image
Cromford became a separate parish in 1869.
St Mark's Church was built in 1874, opened in 1877, as a mortuary chapel with graveyard and for occasional services. It was built on open land to the west of The Hill. Before that burials took place at Wirksworth cemetery, only members of the Arkwright family were interred at St Mary's Church. St Mark's became unsafe due to subsidence. It was closed in 1957 and demolished c 1970. The graveyard continued to be used until recently when burials were transferred to the new cemetery at Steeple Grange, Wirksworth.
Exact location unknown.