This image can be used commercially
St John's Church, South Parade, Matlock Bath, c 1905
About this image
This image also shows the Switchback ride, an early rollercoaster, which was in Derwent Gardens. The rollercoaster opened in 1889, making it one of the earliest in England. Although only 140 yards long, it added an extra novelty for visitors to Matlock Bath. It was dismantled in 1934.
Matlock Bath lies in a steep sided valley. It is bounded by the River Derwent to the east, with the limestone crags of High Tor and Wild Cat Tor, later just known as Cat Tor, rising almost vertically from the river's edge in places. Matlock Bath has been described as 'the Switzerland of England'. Matlock Bath was originally part of the parish of Matlock until 1843 and the history of the two places is intertwined. In early times there were few inhabitants in what we now know as Matlock Bath because it was almost inaccessible. The village did not develop much until a road was cut through the rocks at Scarthin Nick at the south end of Matlock Bath and the bridle path from Matlock Bridge was widened. The first development of any major importance followed the discovery of the medicinal springs. Lysons stated that the spring waters were first used for medicinal purposes at the end of the 17th century, and the bath (wooden lined with lead) was made in 1698. The village was an extremely fashionable and prosperous spa in the nineteenth century, and was visited by the then Princess (later Queen) Victoria on 22 Oct 1832, when she was a guest of the Duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth House.
(Information from Cressbrook Peak District Information Web Site and the Matlock and Matlock Bath Genealogy and Local History Web Site)