About this image
Above Butterley Tunnel on the Cromford Canal. The picture shows Western Fan. This was last used as a pumping shaft for Denby Hall Colliery along with Salterwood, Hartshay, Winnings and Fords. Brittain Pit lay about 500yds to the west along with Brands to the north west. Brittain was owned by Butterley originally from Gabrial Brittain. Western was the thrid pit in the trio. Details are shown on OS map 1882 derbyshire sheet XL7. Although it was closed 70 years ago it is currently only used as a bird nest.