This image can be used commercially
Children at the Camp Gates, Amber Valley Camp School, Woolley Moor, c 1940s?
Constance Meeds via Sylvia Barton
c 1940s - 1950s
Amber Valley Camp School
About this image
Children came to Amber Valley Camp School from schools in Derby or Nottingham. Some children stayed for a month at a time, sometimes with one or two of their own teachers. Occasionally a child would stay for two months, if their circumstances warranted it. All the six dormitories had Derbyshire place names and only the dining hall remains which is now the Ogston Sailing Club. The flooding of the valley in 1958 to create the Ogston Reservoir, completely submerged farmland, roads and part of the Ashover Light Railway. The reservoir also destroyed most of the village of Woolley. The villagers were relocated into council houses built in another local hamlet, Badger Lane, which eventually became known as the village of Woolley on the Moor, which subsequently became the present village of Woolley Moor. From an album belonging to Constance Meeds, a record of her time as a teacher at Amber Valley Camp; donated by her niece Sylvia Barton.