This image can be used commercially
Amber Valley Camp School Staff, Woolley Moor, Alfreton, 1954
Amber Valley Camp School
About this image
In 1954 the children came to Amber Valley Camp School from schools in Derby or Nottingham. Some children stayed for a month at a time, sometimes with one or two of their own teachers. Occasionally a child would stay for two months, if their circumstances warranted it. All the six dormitories had Derbyshire place names. The flooding of the valley in 1958 to create the Ogston Reservoir completely submerged farmland, roads and part of the Ashover Light Railway. The reservoir also destroyed most of the village of Woolley. The villagers were relocated into council houses built in another local hamlet, Badger Lane, which eventually became known as the village of Woolley on the Moor, which subsequently became the present village of Woolley Moor. Back row, left to right: Eric Dibb; John Davies; ? Bisgrove; Ethel Cooke; Wilf Dunn; Arthur Cook. Middle row, left to right: Mr Morgan (head); Sheila Holt; Aileen Bowler; Sylvia Smith; ?. Front row, left to right: Sheila Morely (nurse); Matron (name unknown); Mary Borthwick.