This image can be used commercially
Melandra Dormitory, Amber Valley Camp School, Woolley Moor, Alfreton, 1954
Amber Valley Camp School
About this image
In 1954 the children came to Amber Valley Camp School from schools in Derby or Nottingham. Some children stayed for a month at a time, sometimes with one or two of their own teachers. Occasionally a child would stay for two months, if their circumstances warranted it. All the six dormitories had Derbyshire place names. The flooding of the valley in 1958 to create the Ogston Reservoir completely submerged farmland, roads and part of the Ashover Light Railway. The reservoir also destroyed most of the village of Woolley. The villagers were relocated into council houses built in another local hamlet, Badger Lane, which eventually became known as the village of Woolley on the Moor, which subsequently became the present village of Woolley Moor. 2nd row: Sylvia Smith extreme left; Sheila Holt extreme right.