This image cannot be used commercially
Cat and Fiddle Windmill, Dale Abbey, 1947-8
Mrs M Smedley
Cat and Fiddle Lane
About this image
It is a wooden post mill originally built in 1788. A stone roundhouse at its base is surmounted by a wooden box-like structure that houses the machinery. George Smedley, shown here with his children Margaret and Howard, was the last miller at the windmill. It stopped working in 1952 when he died. Mrs Mary Smedley (she married George in 1942) stayed in the mill cottage until 1982 when the mill was sold.