About this image
The Baseball Ground was home to Derby County Football Club from 1895 to 1997. Sir Francis Ley created a 12 acre Vulcan sports ground for his workers in the 1880's. A baseball ground was located in one corner. It was first used by derby County in 1892, again in 1893 and permanently from 1895. Ley spent £7000 to increase the capacity of the stadium from 4,000 to 20,000. Derby County Football Club moved to their new stadium, Pride Park, in August 1997.