This image cannot be used commercially
Holy Trinity Church, Derby Road, Matlock Bath, c 1880s
Frith, Francis and Co Ltd
Frith, F and Co Ltd.
Derby Road - Clifton Road
About this image
Opened on 5 October 1842, the church is stone built in a cruciform shape with a tall spire and is in the gothic style. It is situated beside the road to Cromford between what was then the Old Bath and the New Bath. Designed by Weightman and Hadfield, it cost £2,250 to build and the living was a perpetual curacy. The church is not oriented east to west, because of the limitations of the site, but is aligned almost north to south on the tufa shelf, with the altar pointing southwards. The Archdeacon of Derby, Ven Walter Shirley, laid the foundation stone and the Bishop of Hereford, acting for the Bishop of Lichfield, consecrated the church. T.E.Streatfield made some alterations in 1873-4.