This image can be used commercially
Swarkestone Bridge and Causeway
c 1940's - 1950's ?
About this image
Swarkestone bridge has a total of 17 arches only a few of which actually cross the River Trent, the rest passing over the low lying flood meadows of the river. The main part of the Swarkeston bridge (seen here on the right) is a 414ft classically designed bridge with 5 round head arches by Thomas Harrison which replaced an earlier bridge. The rest of the bridge is a raised causeway, only part of which is seen here. It was built in the 13th century and about a mile long, raising the road above the flood meadows of the Trent Valley. The story goes that it was built by 2 sisters who saw their lovers drown whilst trying to cross the flooded meadows. At the northern end of the bridge are the remains of a chapel. It was from this bridge that Bonnie Prince Charlie's rebel army turned back from their march on London. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.