About this image
The church of St Laurence, with its 13th century tower, is situated at the end of High Street. This church has been described by English Heritage as being 'an outstanding building'. It was partly destroyed by fire in 1897 and was rebuilt to Ambler's designs, although the 12th Century tower and Spire remain intact. The spire is one of only two remaining examples in Britain. The interior has been superbly decorated in a modern style, since 1960 when the church was again partly destroyed by fire. Within the church is the Cavendish Chapel, built in 1618 to house the elaborate tomb of Sir Charles Cavendish (son of Bess of Hardwick) and his wife, Katherine Ogle. After the fire of 1897, the Cavendish chapel survived. At the foot of the steps to the chapel and in direct contrast to the sumptuousness of the Cavendish memorial, is a rough stone in memory of Huntingdon Smithson and his son, John, who were the architects of Bolsover Castle. Note the lamps seen in the picture here which would have originally been lit by gas.