About this image
The lane pictured appears to have come from the direction of Lancashire by Bowden Lane, known to Early Victorians as 'Drum and Monkey Lane' from an inn at Waterside, and Ashbourne Lane to Dove Holes and on by Long Edge Lane to Blackwell Dale, forward to the direction of the Roman Road between Buxton and Derby and so towards the south and west Midlands. Drovers have told that they have driven cattle along this track in practically a straight line from Town End to Monyash. This old track was in 1828 considered to be of sufficient importance to be surveyed for the purpose of a suggested turnpike from Chapel to Blackwell Mill, where there was to be a junction with the road at the bottom of Topley Pike and a branch was to be taken down the Wye Valley to Millers Dale and on to Litton Mills. Nothing, however, was done beyond the preparation of the plans which may be seen in the 'Fairbank Collection' in the Sheffield Public Library (E.R.o.71.L.).