This image can be used commercially
Via Gellia viewed from Nimble Jack on the Middleton Road
About this image
The Via Gellia runs from Grangemill to Cromford. It was constructed through the Griffe Grange Valley in the 1790's by Philip Gell of Hopton Hall, a local industrialist. The road was built to improve access between the family lead mines at Carsington and a smelter at Cromford, and was named the Via Gellia (' The Gell Way') by Philip Gell, who had a great interest in Roman Culture. 'Via Gellia' is now often used to refer to the whole valley, not just the road.