This image can be used commercially
View of Crich stand and quarry
Crich stand and quarry
About this image
View of Crich Stand and Cliff Quarry taken from the SE. This is a photograph showing the present 'Stand' which was erected in 1923 as a Sherwood Foresters War memorial. An earlier monument / Beacon had stood here prior to this. A tramway was originally installed here below the cliff by George Stevenson to carry limestone from the Cliff Quarry to the lime kilns at Ambergate. Limestone is still mined at the quarry. Today the area below the quarry is the location of the Crich Tramway Museum.