This image cannot be used commercially
Jessop Monument, Codnor Park
8 March 1987
About this image
The 70 ft high monument was built in 1854 to commemorate the work of William Jessop Junior (1783-1863) who was a partner of the Butterley Company, which in the early 19th century owned most of the coal mines in the area and was a major producer of iron, employing 1,500 men. On one occasion the French tightrope walker Blondin walked a line from the top of the monument to the ground.