About this image
The first production of coal at Sherwood Colliery took place in 1903 from the Top Hard seam. Reserves were increased in 1916 when the Dunsil seam was developed and all production was from these two seams until the mid-1950s when, with the colliery's future in some doubt, drifts from the Top Hard gained access to the reserves in the Deep Soft. The new, fully mechanised seam was developed just in time as the Dunsil seam was worked out in 1957 and the Top Hard was exhausted by 1959. Again the colliery was a single-seam pit until the 1969 until the Deep Hard was reached. By 1973 the Deep Hard and Piper Seams were worked where possible as one section. Reserves in the deep soft were finished by 1977 and the production from the Yard seam started in 1978 with production being supplemented by the addition of the Blackshale reserves in 1984. Sherwood was the last pit in the old North Notts Area to use steam winding gear, the change to electric winding taking place in 1982 when No1 shaft was converted, with No2 shaft following a year later. The area held its breath just before Christmas 1983 when three miners were trapped three miles into the pit when a 30- metre section of tunnel collapsed. Fortunately, after many hours the trapped men were rescued by colleagues who cleared a way through the tonnes of rubble. Sherwood closed in January 1992 and the site was cleared of all traces of the colliery.