This image can be used commercially
Stydd Hall Preceptory, Yeaveley, c 1935
About this image
The ruins of the Chapel of St Mary and St John, built around 1190 by the Knight Hospitallers. The land was supposedly given to the Knights Hospitallers by Richard II, and the hospital derived its revenue from property in Ashbourne. The walls of the church of were incorrectly re-erected in 1915, with the inside of the wall incorrectly facing outwards. The adjoining house stands on medieval foundations but the remainder to the Elizabethan or Jacobean period. The Gothic-style bay windows were added later in 1840 (Pevsner).
The wall with the three lancet windows was restored to its present condition by the Derbyshire Archaeological Society in 1932 so the image dates from then or later. (Additional information kindly supplied by Don Farnsworth).