About this image
A priory was founded in Repton about 1172, but was dissolved by Henry VIII at the Reformation. On the site of the priory ruins, Repton School was established under the will of Sir John Port of Etwall in 1557. The priory arch and the west wing of the cloister court now form the entrance to the school. The now famous school grew in fame and reputation, as well as physically, under the headship of Dr Pears (1854-74). The site was the location for the filming of 'Goodbye Mr Chips' starring Peter O'Toole and Petula Clarke in 1968-9.