About this image
Bretby Castle was demolished in the reign of James the 1st when permission was granted for a mansion to be built in a newly enclosed park of 600 acres. Built for the 1st Earl of Chesterfield and home of the Stanhope family in 1630. The ornamental gardens created there by the 2nd Earl of Chesterfield were reputed to have been second only to Versailles. Only the Hall and lakes remain. The hall as it is seen here was redesigned by Wyatville c 1815. One of the owners of the estate was Lord Carnarvon the Egyptologist, who sold the property to finance the famous expedition in search of the tomb of Tutankhamun, the boy king. The present Hall was purchased in 1926 by the Derbyshire County Council for use as a hospital and remained an orthopaedic hospital till the 1990's, the hall and grounds then being sold to developers to provide private residential units.