About this image
The hall was designed in 1735 by Francis Smith for Robert Holden. Aston hall once belonged to Col W. Winterbottom, who had purchased it in 1889. It was much enlarged in 1907. On his death in 1928, it was auctioned and purchased by the Nottingham Corporation for use as a psychiatric hospital, under pressure from the Mental Hospital Committee, to increase the provision of care for mental patients, which has been its main use throughout the rest of the 20th century. It has since been converted within recent years to create a number of individual luxury apartments.