About this image
Coal was mined on a small scale in Pinxton since Tudor times. With the arrival of a branch of the Cromford Canal in the 1790's a localised industrial revolution began. Within a decade or so of the canal's arrival several deep coal pits, four lime kilns and a china works were in operation near to the Wharf. The wharf was the terminus for the canal, which was built to link the collieries to the river Trent. This view shows Number 1 and Number 6 pit of Pinxton Colliery, and the canal basin. A modern industrial estate now sits on the site of the former Brookhall Colliery and coke ovens. This postcard is part of the Peveril 'Real Photo' series.