This image can be used commercially
Old Stocks, Little Longstone
About this image
The old village stocks in Little Longstone, a small hamlet between Monsal Head and Great Longstone. Stocks have been used from Anglo-Saxon times to punish minor offences such as drunkenness, resisting a constable or drinking alcohol during church services. The offender was forced to sit with his ankles imprisoned. Unlike the pillory, his hands were free to defend himself from the crowd. In 1405, a law was passed that required every town and village to have a set of stocks, usually placed by the side of a public highway or village green. Stocks were generally used up until 1837.