About this image
Ilam village, pronounced 'eye-lamb', lies next to the river Manifold, and has a spacious, attractive appearance, with its swiss chalet style housing. Famous for its hall, The Ilam Estate used to be owned by the Benedictine Abbey of Burton on Trent, but is now owned by the National trust and is used as a youth Hostel. Ilam's appearance is mainly due to the efforts of a local industrialist Jesse Watts Russell, who had rebuilt the village and hall in the 19th century. The cross in the village was erected in 1840 in memory of a Mrs Watts Russell whose family had lived in the hall for generations.