About this image
Mr Ted Heath, former Prime Minister, with Mr Harold Lever, and Spencer Le Marchant, MP for the High Peak, at the Pavilion Gardens, attending a pro-Common Market rally organised by the High Peak for European Campaign Committee. Approximately 1,000 people attended.
The Pavilion Gardens, which were built by Edward Milner in 1871, lie behind the attractive Opera House (by Frank Matcham in 1903) in Buxton.
Milner worked as Paxton's assistant for the erection of the Crystal Palace in London, and the design of the gardens is possibly based on his work here. Indeed, Pevsner believes that the Serpentine Walks were laid out by Paxton himself. The gardens were enlarged in 1875 with the octagonal Concert Hall by R R Duke.