About this image
Pictured (left to right) Ron Heron, Don Smith, Bill Higginbottom, George Knowles, Arthur Lowe Snr, Mr Thomas, Charles Hadfield and Ian Cauldwell. Hayfield Cricket Club is one of the oldest in the area being established in 1859. In a never forgotten local derby with New Mills in 1878, the match was to due finish at 6.30. At that time the church tower only had one face - facing the cricket ground. It was 6.20 and Hayfield needed 17 runs with 10 minutes left to play - and the clock curiously stopped until Hayfield had won the game.