This image can be used commercially
Double photograph of Spring Gardens-Terrace Road junction, and the Old Hall Hotel
Terrace Road and The Slopes/Crescent
About this image
The photograph of the bottom of Terrace Road shows the buildings which stood there and were replaced by The National Westminster Bank. The cab rank stands opposite. The Old Hall on the right photograph is the oldest building in lower Buxton. In 1573 the Earl of Shrewsbury built the first proper accommodation over The Spring (now the site of the Old Hall Hotel). Mary, Queen of Scots, made a number of visits between 1573 and 1584 to 'take the cure' during her captivity. The hotel was built in 1670 and enlarged in the 18th century.