About this image
General view of the Crescent Palace Hotel and Devonshire Hospital, taken from the Slopes. The photograph was taken before the Pump Room was built (1894). The Crescent was built between 1780 and 1784 by John Carr of York, for the 5th Duke of Devonshire. The Duke paid £120000 (paid from profits of the Duke's copper mine at Ecton). The building contains a fine Adam style Assembly Room, beautifully restored by Derbyshire County Council, with the original chandeliers in position. It is now used as a study library.