About this image
Open-air baths which opened c 1920 in an old reservoir behind the town hall / Wharncliffe Road. With its shed-like changing rooms and wire baskets for clothes it was remembered by many for its freezing cold water, and cold, windy location right at the top of the hill! Replaced c 1972 by indoor pool off Manners Road and the original Baths site used to extend the town hall. The tower and spire of Congregational (later United Reformed) Church can be seen in the background.