About this image
The last meeting of the board in February 1887. The Local Board was formed in 1864, to replace the Highway Board of 1844-64. They built the Town Hall in 1866 and purchased the gasworks and waterworks and built the sewage system. When Ilkeston gained borough status in 1887, the Local Board was disbanded and replaced by the Corporation (Borough Council). Seated are front row left to right: Charles Haslam, William Wade, William Sudbury, Francis Sudbury, William Tatham and Isaac Attenborough and unknown. Second row left to right: Walter Tatham, Charles Maltby, Frederick Beardsley, Samuel Richards, Samuel Robinson, George Haslam, unknown, Wright Lissett and unknown. Behind second row left to right: William Fletcher, Edmund Tatham, Joseph Shorthose, Edwin Trueman and three unknowns.