This image can be used commercially
Peacock Colliery, Ilkeston
Seaman and Sons
About this image
View probably from the south west (Heanor Road). Owner, Joseph Shorthose is behind the gatepost in the bowler hat. The carts presumably belong to local coal merchants. Peacock Colliery was sunk c 1875 and initially had no connection to the railway network. Joseph Shorthose was bankrupted in March 1889 and the colliery reopened under new management. The new owners laid a horse-drawn narrow-gauge tramway down to the Midland Railway's branch at the Nutbrook Colliery, Shipley. Known to some as the 'Careful Colliery', the Peacock closed in 1896.