This image cannot be used commercially
The Old Post Office, Ockbrook
Shopstones - The Settlement
About this image
The Moravian Church was formed in Moravia (now part of the Czech Republic) in the 15th Century. A Moravian community settled in Ockbrook in the 1740s, and built their Church in 1752. They obeyed a strict religious code. Men and women had to enter the chapel by separate doors according to the strict segregation rule of the order. The settlement continued to grow and includes many fine 18th and 19th Century buildings some of which now form Ockbrook School. There is still a Moravian congregation at the church. The Post Office seen here was built as a general store by the Moravians in 1768 at a cost of £150. It was run as a Post Office by Mr Orchard for many years. It ceased trading in 1927 and is now a private house.