This image can be used commercially
The Italian Warehouse (Winrow's - Crowcrofts), Sandiacre - Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Woolliscroft, G W and Morris, R A
Town Street (Formerly Church Street)
About this image
Picture taken from:- 'History of Wesleyan Methodism in the Ilkeston Circuit (1909) by W Smith. This building (left) is believed to have been erected in 1826 as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. It was replaced in 1878 by the chapel at the junction of Church Street and Lenton Street. It was subsequently converted into a grocer's shop an around the turn of the 19th/20th century was occupied by Mrs. Hannah Winrow as the Italian Warehouse. By 1925 it had passed to Arthur Cockayne. The building survived as a grocers until the early 1970's. The shop was run then under the name of Crowcrofts, though the fittings had hardly changed throughout the 20th century; retaining many of its original fixtures and serving many provisions such as sugar loose from sacks to be weighed out at the point of sale. By this time the street had been re-named Town Street. The house on the right was demolished at this time, along with adjacent rows of old cottages. Comet electrical store was built on the site, though the grocery was not demolished, but incorporated into the comet building. Comet sold music long playing records from this section (stereo record players had just become popular). The former grocery/chapel now houses Comet's reject-sales electrical goods.