About this image
Now disused, the canal opened in stages from 1793 to 1795. It was an independently-owned branch off the Erewash Canal and extended from Stanton to Shipley. It officially closed in 1896 but it ran through Stanton Works and was still used by the company after the rest of the canal had closed through coal mining subsidence. Construction of a new wharf at Stanton circa 1937, together with the installation of an overhead hopper on an adjoining railway bridge for loading slag, meant that only about 400 yards of the canal remained operational from the Erewash thereafter. Traffic on this remaining stub of the Nutbrook Canal ceased in 1949. The section depicted here is probably to the west of Ilkeston town centre.