This image can be used commercially
St Mary's Church and Lower Market Place from the top of Bath Street on market day
Lower Market Place - Bath Street
About this image
Looking south west. The town, which was mentioned in the Domesday Book, obtained a grant or charter for a market and fair in 1251. St Mary's Church dates back to around the year 1200, but little is left from this period apart from the 3 East piers between the nave and the South aisle. The nave was doubled in length when the church was enlarged in 1909-10 by P. H. Currey, and the tower was rebuilt in a new position. It contains a rare and remarkable early 14th century stone screen. There is a well preserved effigy of a cross-legged knight, presumed to be that of Nicholas de Cantelupe, who died in 1272. The Cantelupes were lords of the manor in the 13th century.