This image can be used commercially
County Secondary School, Long Eaton
c 1920 ?
Sawley Road (Tamworth Road)
About this image
The County Secondary School was built in 1910 (and the town's Andrew Carnegie Library which was opened in 1906) on a piece of land called 'Gorse Holmes', which was bought for £1,150. It was officially opened on Saturday 29th October, 1910 by Alderman James Oakes, Chair of the County Education Committee. The Architect was G H Widdows ARIBA; the builder was Mark Warrington of Hyde, Cheshire. It cost approx. £14,900 and was designed to allow for later enlargement. The first headmaster, Samuel Clegg (grandfather to Sir David Attenborough and Lord Richard Attenborough) remained there until his death in 1930. After the Second World War the school became The Grammar School. It is now a listed building and part of the Long Eaton School. The view here is looking ESE from Lower Brook Street. Copy of a postcard by C and A Lewis, Nottingham. 'Robin Hood' Brand