This image can be used commercially
James Austin's Butchers shop on the corner of Norman Street and Charlotte Street, Ilkeston
c 1930 ?
Norman Street - Charlotte Street
About this image
Showing James Austin's butchers shop (now demolished), which was popular with local children for the series of glazed ceramic tiles under the windows, depicting the story-rhyme of 'This is the house that Jack built' (see also DCER000225 for a view looking from further up Charlotte Street). Left to right is Miss Hilda Austin; Mrs Austin; James Austin. Norman Street was known as Grass Lane prior to c 1870, when it was renamed after local surgeon and Highway Board Chairman Dr George Blake Norman.