About this image
View north east showing the Queens Head Inn. Proprietorship of the Queen's Head changed hands no fewer than 10 times between 1880 and 1921, one of the short stay victuallers being Frank Gresley, the watercolour artist. Whilst here, his two sons, Harold and Cuthbert, attended the village school. Rose Cottage, the house on the right, was the home of Agnes Summers for some 40 years, and when widowed towards the end of the century, she set up a private school there, which she ran with her daughter. Across the way is Harrison's grocers and the front of the Co-operative Society's premises can be glimpsed just beyond. The Society started their Ockbrook operations in a small way in 1902, actually preceding Christopher Harrison as tenants in what was known as Mary's Shop, but in 1914 they moved up the street into their own purpose built block, which included the shop, storerooms and three small staff dwellings. On the other side of the road opposite Harrison's was the little square yard of William Potter the butcher, and where a butchers shop has stood ever since.