This image can be used commercially
Approach road to Lumford Mill, Bakewell
Geraldine Holland, Photographer
About this image
Lumford Mill was originally built by Richard Arkwright in 1777-8. It was a cotton mill and was the first factory in the world to be powered by a river (rather than the streams of his earlier mills at Cromford). This new cotton industry brought an increase in the local population (350 workers in 1780) and changes in local employment. Arkwright Square was built as housing for the mill workers. The mill itself burnt down in 1868, though parts of the mill and the water courses still remain. Later factory buildings housed the D P Battery Company Works, and seen here, W Fearnehough's, after the D P Battery Company Works closed down. Pinelog and other smaller companies now use these buildings.