This image cannot be used commercially
Alignment of the abandoned Nottingham Canal at Glasshouse Yard, Awsworth, 1980
10 February 1980
About this image
Looking east towards Giltbrook following opencasting for coal. The line of willow trees on the right presumably indicate the course of the former canal.
The Nottingham Canal extended from the River Trent at Nottingham in a generally north-westerly direction for 14.7 miles (23.6 kilometres) via Lenton, Radford, Wollaton, Trowell, Cossall, and Awsworth to Langley Mill where it connected with the Cromford and Erewash Canals. Its main purpose was the movement of coal from mines in the Erewash Valley to Nottingham. Opened in 1796, it was later acquired by the Great Northern Railway but, apart from the Nottingham-Lenton section (which was transferred to the Trent Navigation Company and, via its link with the Beeston Canal, remains in use today), it was abandoned in 1936.