This image cannot be used commercially
Nottingham Canal near Cossall Road,Trowell, 1984
2 September 1984
About this image
Looking north from the towpath of the disused canal with Cossall village on the skyline to the left. Just below the village the horizontal hedgerows indicate the sinuous course of the waterway as it follows the contours along the eastern flank of the Erewash Valley.
The Nottingham Canal extended from the River Trent at Nottingham in a generally north-westerly direction for 14.7 miles (23.6 kilometres) via Lenton, Radford, Wollaton, Trowell, Cossall, and Awsworth to Langley Mill where it connected with the Cromford and Erewash Canals. Its main purpose was the movement of coal from mines in the Erewash Valley to Nottingham. Opened in 1796, it was later acquired by the Great Northern Railway but, apart from the Nottingham-Lenton section (which was transferred to the Trent Navigation Company and, via its link with the Beeston Canal, remains in use today), it was abandoned in 1936.