About this image
Looking west towards towards Bennerley and Cotmanhay. The photographer is standing on the truncated embankment of the Great Northern Railway's Derbyshire Extension line (closed in 1968), which was formerly carried across the Nottingham Canal on a bridge here; the embankment briefly resumes in the left background before passing onto the iron trestle Bennerley Viaduct. To the right of this is the now demolished Bennerley Disposal Point where coal mined by opencast methods was processed and loaded for rail transport. The disused canal is itself shown here after reinstatement following opencasting.
The Nottingham Canal extended from the River Trent at Nottingham in a generally north-westerly direction for 14.7 miles (23.6 kilometres) via Lenton, Radford, Wollaton, Trowell, Cossall, and Awsworth to Langley Mill where it connected with the Cromford and Erewash Canals. Its main purpose was the movement of coal from mines in the Erewash Valley to Nottingham. Opened in 1796, it was later acquired by the Great Northern Railway but, apart from the Nottingham-Lenton section (which was transferred to the Trent Navigation Company and, via its link with the Beeston Canal, remains in use today), it was abandoned in 1936.