This image cannot be used commercially
Bennerley Viaduct, Ilkeston, 1887
reproduced from Grinling, C H History of The Great Northern Railway, 1898 p313
About this image
A view of the viaduct probably from the south west taken during construction, It was made from wrought iron to carry the Great Northern Railway Derbyshire and Staffordshire line across the Erewash Valley between Awsworth and Ilkeston. It was designed by S Abbot, the resident engineer for the line, using the warren system of construction; the wrought iron work being made by Eastwood, Swingler and Co, Ltd, of Derby. Work began in May 1876 and pier erection was completed by November 1877.
Freight services commenced in January 1878, and passenger services in April.
The last passenger services on the route ran on 5 September 1964. Freight services ceased in 1968 and the track was lifted soon after. The approaching embankments were levelled in the 1970s to enble opencast mining (on the Notts side) and housing development (on the Ilkeston side).
British Rail's attempts to demolish the structure were opposed by conservation groups. Following a public enquiry the viaduct was saved from demolition and in 1986 the Bennerly Viaduct Preservation trust was set up.