This image can be used commercially
Somersal Hall, Grove Lane, Somersal Herbert
Off Grove Lane
About this image
The Elizabethan half timbered hall was built in 1564 by John Fitzherbert. The south west wing of brick was added in 1712, and the building was again enlarged in 1850 and 1899. An original priest hole still remains. The Fitzherbert Family have been in the village since the 13th century or before, as it is known that the Fitzherberts of Norbury held the manor in 1206. They remained in residence until 1803 when the Somersal side of the family died out. It was bought by Lord Vernon who sold it back into the Fitzherbert Family through William FitzHerbert, a younger son of the Tissington line. Eventually Sir Henry Fitzherbert inherited both Somersal Hall and Tissington Hall and it was he who enlarged the former in 1850. Somersal Hall was eventually sold out of the Fitzherbert family and is still a private residence. The brick-built block in this photograph was built on the south west side of the original structure in 1712 (Pevsner).