This image can be used commercially
Beam Engine at Pentrich Colliery, Asher Lane, Pentrich, c 1914
About this image
This steam engine dated from 1791 and was originally employed at Oakerthorpe Colliery, being moved to Pentrich in 1841. In 1917 it was 'discovered' by W T Anderson (who was associated with Henry Royce of Rolls Royce) when he was installing electrical equipment at the colliery. Soon afterwards, it was removed for preservation to the Science Museum in London.