This image cannot be used commercially
St John the Baptist Church, Staveley
About this image
The earliest parts of the Parish Church date to the 13th century (tower and lancet window), but is has been renovated in subsequent centuries. The north aisle was added in 1865-9 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The church holds many monuments and tombs of the Frecheville Family, the local lords of the manor. This photograph shows the lych gate in front of the church, built in memorial to Sir Josiah Court, a local man who died in 1939.