This image cannot be used commercially
Elevated view of West Bars area, Chesterfield, c 1961
About this image
Elevated view looking west from the tower of the Market Hall with West Bars (A619) running away from the camera. The convergence of New Square and Low Pavement is at the bottom of the picture, while the black and white building to the left is The Portland Hotel. Partly hidden behind this is the former Chesterfield Market Place station (closed in 1951 and finally demolished in 1973), and then under construction on the site of the station's goods yard is the Post Office's AGD (Accounts General Department) / Chetwynd House complex (built 1961-2 and demolished in 1997). Queen's Park is in the left distance.