This image can be used commercially
Chesterfield Races and Funfair
About this image
See also DCCC001571. Chesterfield Races originated from the time of the 1st Duke of Devonshire, who was a big horse racing fan, and who donated land for a race course on Newbold Common as it was then called. It was 2 miles long and enclosed most of Whittington Moor. By the 1920's attendances ranged yearly between 10,000 and 50,000 people. It was a 2-3 day event run originally in July, but was later moved to October. By the late 19th and early 20th centuries it was always accompanied by Proctor's funfair. The last race meeting was on the 29th July 1924 and houses built on the site.