This image cannot be used commercially
Vicar Lane looking towards the Market Place
Chesterfield Photographic Society
Packers Row - Vicar Lane corner
About this image
On the right is John Turner's shop. This was established in 1845 as a drapery shop part way up Packers Row. Turners expanded into George Edge's Printers and stationery shop when Edge's moved to West Bars by 1922, then expanded yet again around the corner onto Vicar Lane. Turner's shop closed down in March 1986 and was demolished in 1987. On the left is Joe Davis's (of Whittington Moor) billiard saloon and the Commercial Hotel.