This image can be used commercially
Junction of Newbold Village and Littlemoor, Newbold, Chesterfield, c 1910
C H Nadin, Photographer
Nadin, C H
About this image
Looking south-east along Newbold Village with Littlemoor joining from the left.
The hanging sign on the left is that of The Wheatsheaf public house, kept at this period by Albert Nunn. The building was originally the first (1785) church school in Newbold, but became a pub in 1863 after the school moved next to a new location adjoining St John's Church at nearby Littlemoor.
As the name suggests, the section of road known as Newbold Village was the location of the original settlement before the area became a suburb of Chesterfield after the Second World War; to either side of the village the highway is known as Newbold Road with the houses numbered in separate sequences.
The Wheatsheaf survived the transition to suburbia, but the eighteenth century building was replaced in 1965 by larger premises set well back from the road junction.